Screencasts, Instagram, and Flipagram
Instagram
It has taken me while to get on board with
Instagram. Instagram is a photo sharing app that lets you share your pictures
or videos publicly or with your followers, as well as through social media
sites such as Facebook and Twitter. I
have had an account for a few years, but I have never really used it. Now that
I was assigned to see how it could be used in the classroom, I’ll think about
using it but don’t really see the point when I already use Twitter. I also
played around with text on the photos. I added AutoCap so I could add text. It
had a lot of different fonts and colors to choose from. You could even add
speech bubbles. I did have a hard time figuring
out how to get them into Instagram. It just seems too much work, instead I’ll
stick to the regular captions.
There are several uses that I can share with my
teachers to use it in their classrooms:
- To showcase student work
- To highlight a student of the week
- Review content taught in class
- Have an online discussion using visuals
- Use it to encourage their students
I have thought of some uses for the library as
well:
- Share book recommendations
- Share new books that have come in to the library
- Show students reading
- Showcase what is happening in the library
Verdict: Using Instagram is another way to stay connected
with students and parents, but I will probably stick with Twitter.
Here is are a few of my Instagram posts.
Flipagram
I really like Flipagram. It is really easy to use
and you can also send it directly to your social media such as Instagram,
Twitter, Facebook, etc. I had actually
never heard of it, but after playing with it, I think I may be hooked. It is another
fun way to take your photos and combine them into a presentation with music or
audio. I also had some problems with trying to add captions to the photos, but
I think with a bit more practice, I’ll figure it out.
Some fun things students can do with Flipagram in
the classroom or library:
- To show or promote what is happening in the classroom
- Share field trip photos
- Plan a story
- Summarize or retell a story
- Show steps in a process
Here is my sample of a flipagram that I made using pictures from our Dr. Seuss Day.
https://flipagram.com/f/15KfX0tCa5g/embed
Verdict: I really like this and can't wait to use with my students.
Screencasts
In several of my classes, my professors have used screencasts to introduce information or the syllabus to the class. I actually enjoy following along. A good screencast can go step by step in a process to show the user how to do something. I decided to try out Screencast-o-matic and found it really easy to use. I watched a few of the tutorials to get myself started and just jumped right in. I played around with the recorder before actually making my own complete screencast. I think this is something I will continue to use as professional development for the teachers on my campus, whether sharing our school databases or other new programs our district wants us to roll out.
Teachingbooks.net Screencast
Overall, I really like screencast-o-matic and Flipagram. I couldn't pick a favorite because I would be using them for different things. I can use the Flipagram with my kids in the library, but will use Screencasts for my teachers to teach professional development. I could possibly use screencasts for my elementary kids but they need to be able to practice each step as it's shared with them. So I am not sure they are ready for that yet. I'll keep playing with it and as i get better at it, I may find uses for my students.




I love your ideas for using Flipogram in a classroom. I didn't think of it as a way to share field trip photos. And it would be great to show steps in a process. Excellent work!
ReplyDeleteI love instagram! I actually follow several school libraries, I think it's a great app to showcase and highlight our library or school. I never actally thought of using Fliparam in the library or classroom but after this assignment I can see that it has alot of great uses.
ReplyDeleteDamiana Guerrero
I think that it would be hard to maintain a social media presence on multiple sites, like you mentioned, because so many of the sites have some of the same functions. I think it's important that we take this time now to explore and find what really works for us and for our own library.
ReplyDeleteI feel the same about Instagram and Twitter. Why use both? But...if you're wanting to reach out to students, Instagram is the way to go. The data I read in our last assignment shows that Instagram is more popular with teens. Flipagram was really fun, and I like that it's easy to share my Flipagrams.
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing some great ways to use Flipagram. I'm not 100% sold on it, but your blog made me decide to go back and explore it more.
ReplyDelete