INFOGRAPHICS
I think I’m going to love infographics! I have been
doing something similar using Microsoft Publisher and Word. Using a program
that has everything right there to use as well as templates will be awesome! I
played around with three different sites to see which one I liked the best:
easel.ly, piktochart, and infogr.am. All three do what you need but some are
better than the others.
Easel.ly
The first site I gave the once over was easel.ly (https://easel.ly). When you first get to the
easel.ly site, you are greeted with a ton of infographic templates to choose
from. I was excited because they were so
creative and I could just plug my information in and WHAM- I have a great
infographic. The thing I did not like about it was that with the free version,
you are very limited on the graphics and icons you can you. To be able to
choose the ones I wanted, I would have had to pay to upgrade. If you
want to pay, Infogr.am is the cheapest of the sites to choose from at $36
dollars or $3 per month. Once you go Pro, you get a ton of templates, 50 fonts
to choose from, design help, and you can upload your own fonts and company
logos. Since I don’t make infographics very often, I would probably just stick
with the freebie.
Piktochart
The second site I visited was piktochart
(piktochart.com). Piktochart was easy to
use and has many free and premium templates.
You can filter the templates out to just see the free ones. There are 10 free templates to choose from or
an option to create your own. They aren’t as creative as easel.ly, but there
are hundreds of icons and photos to choose from as well as many fonts that you
don’t have to pay for. I made a piktochart
for this assignment and felt like there wasn’t anything I needed to do that I
couldn’t as a free member. To upgrade, it’s
called Leveling Up and it would cost about $39.00 dollars a year- not that much
more than easel.ly. Some pluses to “Leveling
Up” are the amount of storage space you get: 400 MB of storage with an
unlimited amount of image and file uploads.
Also you can download the piktocharts in high-resolution or as a pdf.
The last site I reviewed was infogr.am (https://infogr.am). In my opinion, it is very similar to the other two, but the free
templates are very plain. You would have to be creative to make it eye catching
or colorful. It was easy to use, once you realize how to navigate the site and the
information. They have many types of charts to choose from, but not many photos
or icons, which was a turn off to me.
The free version of infogr.am is extremely simple
and basic. There are a lot added if you
decide to go with a paid membership, but they are also the most expensive of
all three sites – $19 per month for a pro membership and $67 a month for a
business membership. Both of these
upgrades provide pdf and printing options, privacy capabilities, multiple user
collaboration, unlimited icons, more themes and templates as well as more
storage space. Since I like doing things
free- I didn’t care for this site very much. It didn’t offer enough things that
I’d like to use on my pages.
Overall, I really like easel.ly and piktochart and
will continue to use them on a free account. I made an inforgraphic with
piktochart using data from article I found on the Pew Research Center website (http://www.pewresearch.org/).
Barthel,
M., Mitchell, A., & Holcomb, J. (2016, December 15). Many Americans Believe
Fake News Is Sowing Confusion. Retrieved March 1, 2017, from
http://www.journalism.org/2016/12/15/many-americans-believe-fake-news-is-sowing-confusion/



Sharon,
ReplyDeleteI agree that for my purposes right now, it makes the most sense to stick to a free account which is why I also used piktochart. I love that you picked fake news for your topic, and it is cool to see how many different ways you displayed your statistics. I especially loved your use of emoticons and social networking icons, since I think that is the main way "fake news" is being spread.
"I have been doing something similar using Microsoft Publisher and Word. Using a program that has everything right there to use as well as templates will be awesome." ***I feel the exact same way learning about infographics. These sites will be such time savers in the future when I have information to get across to teachers and students.
ReplyDeleteI too have created information pieces with Word and Publisher, and those pieces came out okay. However, I am so glad I learned about these and how to use them. The infographics are much more polished and advanced looking. I would offer this to my students as well to present projects and such. Great post, very informative on each Web App to create infographics. Cynthia Burvato
ReplyDelete